Friday, February 20, 2009

CHICKENS COME HOME TO ROOST


Initially when I saw the cartoon depicting Barack Obama as a monkey filled with bullet holes I was upset and angry. Then I paused and thought for a moment why would I be upset at someone for expressing their views. Are we not in America, the land of the free and the home of brave? Freedom of expression is a given no matter how disturbed, insensitive, and prejudice it maybe. As I truly think back at the supposed progress that America has made in the last year. I ask myself why would the New York Post allow such a racially insensitive picture to illustrate their discomfort with President Obama’s Stimulus package. I know we ridiculed former President Bush throughout his Presidency but I can’t recall seeing any racially insensitive cartoons being posted. Am I mad that some people are being exposed to the world for still being insensitive and racist, hell no? As Malcolm X said “how can I be mad that the chickens have come home to roost?” This is just a reminder, a hard slap to the face to all the idealistic Americans who believe that the world has suddenly changed and is now free of racial bias. Bullshit! “Racism is still alive they just be concealing it”. Have we forgotten that this is a federal government who is more concerned about prosecuting Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens for taking steroids than providing Sean Bell’s family with closure and prosecute the cops who violated his civil rights? They are more concerned with sending Michael Vick to jail for dog fighting than ensuring that the murderer of Oscar Grant is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. So for the New York Post and the other racist idiots who are quick to call us apes, monkeys, and gorillas you are correct in your assessment of me. I am a Guerilla and I’m standing on the Empire State Building pounding on my chest. I’m fighting this war just like you but I’m being smart about it. I’m tired of boycotts and silent protests. We need to start chin checking some chins out here and taking our respect one city at a time. But I digress I don’t want to be accused of inciting people to riot and making terrorist threats. Don’t want Facebook to ban me. Bump that they can get the finger too.